Club Feelings

Club+Feelings

Sean Boyle, Staff Writer

Clubs give people an activity where they can feel free and have fun with people they get along with.

In classes, students don’t always get to enjoy themselves and talk with friends. This doesn’t mean that students hate classes, but many want to have something else that allows them to get things off their chests. Some students find that feeling through sports, some may even have a good job, and others join clubs.

Not everyone is great at sports or they can’t balance it with school. Several people don’t enjoy their jobs. Everyone has the option to join or leave almost any club they want to. Someone will join a club that suits them and leave the club if it doesn’t turn out to be what they thought.

“People are naturally more comfortable in groups that allow them to feel freer,” OCC Sociology professor Lynn Mazur said. “Most gravitate towards those with similar interests.”

One club that really comes together to enjoy something they all like is the Motion Picture Club. Jonathan Gomez has been in the club for a few months now and says he thoroughly enjoys it. “It is fun being with people and doing something you all like. Our club revolves around the enjoyment movies bring and it just makes coming to OCC more enjoyable.” Gomez said.

“The most common reason I think people don’t join clubs is because they view them as something isn’t used by most people. If more people started joining clubs then I think everyone would start to gravitate towards joining a club,” Mazur said.