OCC Announces Restart Plan for Fall 2021

To the College Community:

I am pleased to announce that the Fall 2021 semester schedule will provide many opportunities for students to attend classes on the OCC campus. The schedule will be available the first week of April. Registration will open April 12th for priority students and April 13th for the general student population.

Our goal is to return most classes to the Toms River campus, with limitations that will be adjusted in accordance with State guidelines in effect in September. These limitations may include adopting a hybrid approach where a limited number of students attend classes in person on a rotating basis while others log in remotely. Should the State move quickly to recovery, we may be able to do even more. Unfortunately, our plan does not extend to locations other than the Toms River campus. Other sites, including the Southern Education Center in Manahawkin, will remain closed due to the limitation of space in those facilities.

In addition to returning classes to campus, student services will be available in person. Beginning July 7th, student services, such as financial aid, academic advising, registration, and testing, will be available on an appointment-only basis and the remote services that have been in place this past year will also continue. A plan is being developed to return student services more fully to the campus in September.

As always, our primary concern continues to be the health and safety of our students and employees. There is still planning that needs to occur and final decisions are dependent on State guidelines. However, our current practices and protocols have proven to be effective and most will be continued, while new measures will be added as required or shown to be best practices. We anticipate students and College personnel will be required to wear face masks and follow all other State and CDC recommendations.

We can all expect our fall semester to look and feel much different than ever before. But we are moving in the right direction by opening the campus in the fall for the safe return of all faculty, staff, and students in whatever capacity will be permitted by the State.

As we have more detail, we will continue to share it with you.

Jon H. Larson, Ph.D.
President