New Jersey Attempts to Combat Campus Sexual Assault

This is a caption.

Veronica Flesher, Editor

New Jersey state legislators are considering a bill to cause colleges to take more action against campus sexual assault.

The bill, sponsored by Senator Joseph Vitale and approved by the Senate Higher Education Committee, would impose a $10,000 fine on colleges and universities that fail to appropriately respond to a student’s allegation of sexual assault.

“I want to ensure that New Jersey continues moving forward in creating a fair system that works for victims.” Vitale said.

If the allegation is substantiated, the bill would also require the Secretary of Higher Education to take appropriate disciplinary action against the perpetrator.

In 2016, there were 138 reported rapes at New Jersey four-year colleges. This 24 percent increase from the previous year can be attributed to efforts to encourage students to speak up about assaults.

From 2015 to 2017, there were no reported sex offenses at Ocean County College, according to the Clery Act Report.

Up to 25 percent of college women and 15 percent of college men experience sexual violence, the New Jersey Coalition Against Sexual Assault said.

Vitale’s bill is one of seven currently submitted in New Jersey state legislature that addresses campus sexual assault. The bill now heads to the Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee for further consideration.